Tuesday 20 March 2007

ill huff, and puff, a la Mr Mabiakwu.....

Ok, this is very late, I know...but has anyone out there watching the M-net Idols laughed at Dede Madiaku- "Cowell"?
http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/UBTheJudgeVideoGallery/category.asp?Id=2
At the village square again was a recent atricle by someone who said that, more or less, we should delight in our nature as Nigerians, those attributes of loudness, verbosity, and belligerence, even when in simple conversations or honest discourse...this he said, is what makes us Nigerians, and to ice the fruit-cake (yes, you Mr author..I mean all my puns), this is what he misses most about being in the west, the west of colourless arguements and pale modulated tones.
Im starting this way because I anticipate a lot of people would riposte that the comparison of a "westerner" to a "Nigerian" judge is flawed, so lets kill that one right there, shall we?
Firstly, of all the judges on the panel, Dede's credentials are the ones that I personally would hold to least examination as anyone would rightly surmise, award-winning brother has been around for quite a bit...stage, TV, writer, performer etc.
I have no idea who the Nana Lady is, (probaby my own ommision, mind)and apart from the fact that a radio personality would have a huge catalogue of trends in commercial music, I would not have voted Mr. Foster to be the best picks of musical talent appraisal either...but moving on from this point.....Let pick on some well refined high-points of Mr. Mabiakwu so far....
"West-life? west-life did the song "I have a dream? I put it to you that you are a liar!" "that song was done by ABBA!" the harangued contestant, obviously confused, now questioning her sanity, and began imagining that the boot legged compilation she mimed to practise to, exists in her bedroom drawer, only in a parallel universe.
The shoe, however, was on the other foot when it was whispered to Dede that Westlife had indeed done a cover on the ABBA song of contention.
"How tall are you? I can tell you that your height is exactly the height of your stupidity!" to a rather gangly hopeful who did lack singing talent, leaving poor Dan and Nana, to cringe uncomfortably, and try to dilute tensions with palliatives aimed at both parties
His golden, (even if I can understand since I am mad too) outburst at the poor kid who thought he could catapualt himself, sans trousers, into the stratosphere of fame, via Fela's underpants...,
and his shameful mockery of the contestants by taunting them to render "I believe I can fly"..although I nearly forgave him when I burst my seams as one of the contestants told us that "I believe I can FRY......",
It has been more entertaining to watch Dede's puerile attempts at impersonal, standard crticisms than the intended unravelling of the contestants themselves.
In fact I think its a good thing he has a big mouth, because how else would be be able to judge a show like Mnet Idols with both of his feet firmly tucked in it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
just thot i'ld commend you on your writing. I am a self professed "blogg stalker" and I must say I have come across very few good nija writers out there. Most seem to have a lot to say, but deliver it in a very distasteful manner. I was kinda surprised to see no comments on your articles...ah well. Keep doing what you are doing though...some people out there still appreciate good writing.

Wole's Girl said...

Thank you bloggstalker!
drop in again

Chude! said...

Exactly! I see some of the shallowness that's so popular and I wonder why!

Peju is one of the best but because she's SO stubborn she refused to allow us plug this; if she did - EVERYONE would come flocking here ... well, at least everyone who isn't shallow (lol)

By the way young woman: you really have to make up your mind on whether you think dede's good or bad for the show! STOP Hiding! Lol

Wole's Girl said...

shallow ke?
ALL the naija blogs me i have been reading have been blowing me out of water o!
And ensuring that I have been cutting out my sleep, assignment, and other significant stuff.....
I shall go in and link my self up with the ones i LOVE pretty soon, perhaps you'll see what I mean..
But I thank you for all the love sha.....
@ chude...always baby!

Anonymous said...

I tried to post something yesterday TIRE! Anyways, I'm going to be needing you to tell me those naija blogs that tickly you o. Seriously.

By the way, didn't you get my offline yesterday???